Breast augmentation is among the top 5 most popular cosmetic surgeries in the United States. Every year, hundreds of thousands of women have this procedure in order to enhance the size and volume of naturally small breasts – or breasts whose size has decreased after pregnancy and breastfeeding. One of the best things about breast augmentation is that it boasts very high patient satisfaction rates (upwards of 96%). The surgery itself may be performed at an outpatient accredited surgical facility or a plastic surgeon’s in-office operating room. Patients are put under local or general anesthesia to ensure their safety and comfort throughout the treatment.
If you have thought about having this transformative aesthetic treatment, the cost is one of the most important considerations. This page explores the cost of breast enlargement surgery in Baton Rouge and across the United States.
Factors that affect the cost of breast augmentation surgery
The cost of breast augmentation is typically influenced by a variety of factors, including the following:
- Type of breast augmentation – there are two main types of breast augmentation: breast implants and fat transfer. Breast implant augmentation uses saline or silicone implants to achieve the desired increase in breast size. Fat transfer augmentation, on the other hand, utilizes excess fat tissue extracted from other areas of the patient’s own body.
- Provider’s experience – specialized providers and more experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons tend to charge more compared to entry-level professionals.
- Anesthesiologist fees – just like with the surgeon, the experience level, education, and skills of the anesthesiologist will have an impact on the cost of the procedure. Seasoned, highly trained anesthesiologists tend to be more extensive than less experienced professionals.
- Location – in the United States, things tend to be more expensive along with coastal areas. This holds true for plastic surgeries as well.
- Recovery – the recovery process after breast enlargement surgery will vary from one patient to the other. Patients may have variable costs when it comes to compression garments, prescriptions, follow-up visits, and missed work.
Other factors that affect the cost of breast augmentation
Some of the other factors that may affect the cost of breast augmentation in Baton Rouge and other areas include:
- Time spent performing the procedure
- The need for additional medical personnel such as nurses and surgical assistants
- Tools and supplies needed to perform your breast enlargement procedure
- Hospital or facility fees
- Other personal expenses that you may encounter such as consultation fees, pre-surgical care, time off work, travel costs, and recovery supplies.
How much does breast augmentation cost?
The average cost of breast augmentation surgery in the US is between $6,000 and $8,000. Patients can expect to pay a little more or less of this based on the specifics of their procedure such as the type of augmentation and other factors. Keep in mind also that other expenses such as facility fees, consultation fees, and medical costs have not been included in this figure.
Cost of breast implants
The majority of breast enlargement procedures are completed using breast implants. If you choose to go for this type of procedure, it is important to know how that will affect the price of the surgery. Breast implant enlargement procedures may be completed using either saline, silicone, or gummy bear implants.
Saline breast implants tend to be the most affordable and are approved by the FDA for use on women over 18 years of age. However, they are more prone to wrinkling and rippling. Data from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons doesn’t specify the exact average cost of procedures completed using saline implants. However, patients who get saline implants can expect to pay about $1,000 less for the cosmetic surgery.
Silicone implants are basically a silicone shell that is filled with silicone gel. These are approved by the FDA for use on women over the age of 22 and typically result in a more natural look and feel. Silicone implants are a little more expensive than saline implants so patients who get these can expect to pay more.
Gummy bear implants are a unique type of silicone breast implant that contains a thicker silicone gel. This means that they are able to retain their shape more easily. Gummy bear implants also tend to be teardrop-shaped, creating less fullness at the top and a natural-looking droop on the lower side. These are the most expensive types of implants and patients who select them can expect to pay more for the surgery.
Cost of breast augmentation with fat transfer
Some women are qualified to have natural fat transfer breast augmentation. This means they don’t have to worry about the drawbacks of implants such as capsular contracture, malpositioning, rippling, and rupture. Breast augmentation with fat transfer is however a much more complex procedure that takes longer than implants. Plastic surgeons use liposuction to extract excess fat from other areas of the body such as the abdomen or back and then use it to increase breast size and volume. This type of breast enlargement is typically more expensive, with prices ranging from $7,000 to $11,000.
Attending a consultation with a plastic surgeon is the only sure way to figure out how much your procedure will cost. At Erick Sanchez Plastic Surgery, we provide our patients with an individualized cost estimate based on their unique needs and requirements.