Breast augmentation – also referred to as augmentation mammoplasty – is a cosmetic surgery that aims to improve the size or volume of female breasts. This procedure can help women who have naturally small breasts feel sexier and more feminine. Plastic surgeons may use either artificial implants or natural fat transfer to complete this procedure. If you have thought about having breast augmentation surgery in Baton Rouge, you may be wondering whether this treatment is worth it.
Breast augmentation procedure stats
Breast augmentation has been among the most common cosmetic surgeries for over two decades. In 2020, breast enlargement was the fifth most popular cosmetic surgical procedure after nose reshaping, eyelid surgery, facelift, and liposuction. Over 193,000 of these (breast augment) procedures were completed in the US alone. In earlier years, it has consistently been ranked among the top cosmetic surgeries in the country. The fact that this treatment is so widespread often helps improve patient confidence and choices.
What do patient reviews and ratings say?
Reviews by other patients are very important for anyone who is considering having breast enlargement plastic surgery. Based on information available on major independent patient reviews websites, breast enlargement has one of the highest satisfaction rates among cosmetic surgery procedures. About 97 percent of over 4600 patients on Real Self said that breast augmentation was worth it. 96 percent of over 26,500 patients on Real Patient Ratings said they were satisfied with the outcome of the procedure. Other patient surveys and studies have pointed to consistently high patient satisfaction rates, something that is often very encouraging to prospective patients.
Top reasons to have breast augmentation
While trying to figure out whether breast enlargement is worth it, it is important to consider some of the main reasons why women choose to have this aesthetic surgery.
- Relatively inexpensive surgery – considered the benefits, breast enlargement can be thought to be a relatively inexpensive procedure. Keep in mind though that the cost will vary depending on the type of procedure or implants used. Your plastic surgeon should be able to explain the various procedure options and highlight the cost for each treatment choice.
- Relatively quick recovery – breast enlargement has a relatively quick and easy recovery time. While some side effects such as swelling and discomfort are common, most women are able to return to light work within 2 – 4 weeks. You are able to resume exercises and other strenuous physical activities in as soon as 6 weeks.
- Symmetrical breast and nipple appearance – breast asymmetry is one of the key reasons why some women choose to have breast enlargement surgery. Such asymmetry may make it harder to find bras that fit correctly and selecting the right top could be a challenge. Plastic surgeons typically address this issue by increasing the size of the smaller breast so that there is no difference between the two breasts. Your surgeon may also reshape the nipples to make sure that they are symmetrical.
- Long-lasting results – breast augmentation is not a short-term fix or stopgap measure. Rather, it is a long-term solution that can enhance the shape and volume of your breasts for decades. In fact, some types of breast implants can last a lifetime. Depending on the type of implant used during the augmentation procedure, your doctor may need to perform routine MRI scans to rule out the possibility of rupture.
- High rate of safety – breast enlargement is considered to be a generally safe procedure with a low risk of side effects and complications. To ensure a successful procedure outcome, the key for patients is to work with a highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.
- Improved confidence – one of the greatest benefits of breast enlargement is that it leads to a boost in self-esteem and confidence. Many women who have this cosmetic surgery no longer feel conscious about the small size of their breasts, particularly when hanging out in public areas such as the pool or the beach.
Cost of breast enlargement surgery
One other important factor to consider when evaluating whether breast augmentation in Baton Rouge is worth the cost. Patients can expect to pay anywhere between $5,000 to $9,000 for this cosmetic procedure in Baton Rouge. Since health insurers do not usually pay for elective cosmetic procedures, you’ll almost certainly need to pay for this treatment out of pocket. During your initial consultation visit at Erick Sanchez Plastic Surgery, our office will provide an individualized cost estimate (factors that affect the cost of breast enlargement surgery) so you can make arrangements for financing.