Tummy tuck surgery, also referred to as abdominoplasty, is a common cosmetic procedure that can be performed on both men and women. Tummy tucks help address excess fat, skin, loosened abdominal muscles, and other imperfections in the abdominal area. If you have thought about undergoing this type of cosmetic treatment, it is important to search within yourself to determine whether it is really a good choice. This article highlights some major factors that you should put into considerations before committing to this treatment.
Your needs and goals
While a tummy tuck is a very popular procedure that can effectively remove abdominal fat and excess skin while also tightening weakened muscles, it is not a fit for everyone. The first consideration you should make before having abdominoplasty is to determine whether this treatment is right for you. Based on general plastic surgery guidelines, you may be a good candidate for abdominal cosmetic surgery if:
- You are in good physical and emotional health.
- You are close to your ideal body weight.
- You are bothered by the appearance of excess abdominal skin or fat that do not respond to diet or exercise.
- You wish to address loosening/separation of the abdominal muscles due to pregnancy and childbearing.
- You have realistic expectations about the outcome of this procedure.
It is important to note that some individuals may have a tummy tuck for medical reasons. This procedure is sometimes used to treat or provide relief in patients with stress urinary incontinence, poor posture, and ventral hernia. Scheduling a consultation with your Baton Rouge plastic surgeon is a great first step to determine whether you may be able to benefit from this treatment. Your surgeon will be able to examine your problem areas, review your medical history, and ask important questions to assess your suitability.
Select the right tummy tuck surgeon
Choosing the right plastic surgeon for your abdominoplasty in Baton Rouge is another important consideration. The majority of tummy tuck surgeries are successful, but choosing the right surgeon will increase the chance that you are very happy with the outcome of the procedure. Start by performing a basic internet search to find plastic surgeons who offer this procedure in your area. Once this is done, read online reviews to see what some of their past tummy tuck patients are saying. You should come up with about 3 preferred plastic surgeons that you can set up a consultation with. During this initial meeting, the first step is to find out whether the surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). This is an independent organization that ensures that practicing plastic surgeons adhere to the highest standards of care. Membership with professional organizations such as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is another good indicator of a plastic surgeon who is keen to offer the highest standards of care. Once you have ascertained that the surgeon is certified, ask about their experience performing abdominoplasty procedures and see before and after photos. Finally, assess your comfort level with the surgeon’s approach. Ultimately, you should be able to find the right specialist for the job.
- Explore tummy tuck alternatives
Before you make the final decision to move forward with a tummy tuck, it is important that you are aware of what options are available. Some patients may attain beneficial results from less invasive procedures. Common tummy tuck alternatives may include the following:
- Liposuction – liposuction is a body contouring procedure that aims to remove stubborn pockets of fat from various parts of the body. Plastic surgeons create tiny incisions then use a special device known as a cannula to suction out fat from the targeted area. Patients who have good skin laxity but are worried about excess fat in the abdominal area may benefit from this minimally invasive tummy tuck alternative.
- BodyTite – BodyTite is a popular tummy tuck alternative that was approved by the FDA in 2017. This treatment generally addresses stubborn fat in different areas of the body (the abdomen included). Radio Frequency Assisted Lipolysis is used to reduce fat without resulting in saggy, wrinkly skin.
- Renuvion – this is a highly efficient minimally invasive skin tightening procedure that utilizes helium plasma to apply radio-frequency to the tissue beneath the skin. This causes the skin to tighten and contract, and ultimately triggers the production of new collagen over a period of 6 – 9 months. Patients can expect to see the full results of a Renuvion procedure after 9 months. This procedure results in very minimal scarring and can be a good tummy tuck alternative for individuals who wish to address loose abdominal skin.
Keep in mind that different patients have varying needs. Your plastic surgeon should help you determine whether you qualify for any of these tummy tuck alternatives based on your unique circumstances.